Description of Class
Demystify the publication process with this 4-week bootcamp on how to submit to literary magazines and get your writing published. We’ll cover the major steps: making sure your piece is polished, identifying the best market for your work, and keeping careful track of your submissions.
You’ll write and get feedback on query letters and talk about best practices when communicating with journals and editors. We’ll also discuss resources that can make the publishing process easier.
The class is perfect for writers who are ready to submit their short stories or essays, or who want to learn about the world of publishing.
What you’ll learn:
- How to polish and revise stories or essays with an editor’s eye
- How to navigate the literary journal landscape
- Tactics for communicating with publishing professionals
- Best practices for tracking submissions and following up
- The value of connecting to a writing community
What you’ll write:
- Cover letters aimed at different markets/needs
- Ongoing revisions of a story you’re looking to submit
What you’ll read:
- Examples of cover letters
- First-person accounts of individual writers’ submission practices
- Interviews with editors on the process of finding work to publish
- Craft essays on the revision process