Description of Class
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Wednesday, April 18, 2018
COURSE FEE: $245
Apply for a spot in the class today! Directions below.
Demystify the publication process with this 4-week bootcamp on revising, polishing, and submitting your story or essay.
We’ll workshop your piece to help it reach its potential, paying careful attention to beginnings and endings. We’ll cover the major steps involved in publication: identifying markets for your writing; sending your work out into the world; and keeping careful track of your submissions. We’ll hear from editors and writers, discuss available resources, and consider philosophical approaches to revision, submission, and publication.
The class is perfect for writers who feel nearly ready to submit their short stories or essays—and who could benefit from that final stretch of revision—as well as those who want to learn more about the world of publishing.
What you’ll learn:
- How to revise and polish stories or essays with an editor’s eye
- How to navigate the literary journal landscape
- Best practices for tracking submissions and following up
What you’ll write:
- Ongoing revisions of a piece you’re looking to submit
What you’ll read:
- Peers’ stories and essays
- Examples of cover letters
- First-person accounts of writers’ submission practices
- Interviews with editors on the process of finding work to publish
- Craft essays on the revision process
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please COMPLETE THIS ONLINE APPLICATION FORM.
You will be asked to submit a 5-page writing sample in a Word document. The sample can be a short story or essay excerpt.
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Program Fee: $245