Description of Class
What’s the story you’ve wanted to get on the page? What’s a story you want to rework? Everyone has a story they want to tell. What’s yours?
This six-week workshop taught by Cyn Vargas (On The Way) is designed to instruct writers of all levels to focus on story development through voice, movement and structure by participating in word exercises, in-class writing and read back. I will also provide weekly constructive feedback to each individual writer. Writers are expected to work on their pieces between sessions. Minor reading between classes will be required.
- Week 1 – See It. What’s happening between characters? Where are they? What’s taking your attention?
- Week 2 – Explore It. What else is happening? What is not being said? Who is the surprise character? Discover what you didn’t see the first time.
- Week 3 – Move It. Voice, character development, place, dialogue will advance your story on the page.
- Week 4 – Finish It. You can’t have revision without having a complete first draft!
- Week 5 – Revise It. Now, it’s time to learn and use revision strategies that will take your story to the next level.
- Week 6 – Send It! Your short story will be ready to be sent into the publishing world or close to it.
Maybe your short story wants to be a novel and you will continue it to live many more pages. Any which way, you will leave with a solid 1st revision. We will also discuss publishing/submission tips for when you’re ready to send it out into the world.Top