Description of Class
The application deadline for this program has passed! Please drop us a note here to be notified when it is offered again.
This is the year to write your novel!
Novel in a Year is a unique opportunity to join a writing cohort, study novel craft, workshop key scenes, measure your progress, meet deadlines, and give and get support for the long slog from plotting to composition to revision and beyond.
It’s a chance to devote an entire year to your novel, giving it the attention and effort your work deserves. Acclaimed author Abby Geni will help you through the drafting process, whether you want to complete a draft, make revisions, or push yourself toward your own page goals.
HOW IT WORKS
Students will meet monthly for three-hour sessions to discuss craft, solve story challenges, workshop scenes, and share some snacks and beverages. In between class sessions you’ll have plenty of time to write and generate new work while still staying in touch via StoryStudio’s private online class forum.
We’ve structured this program to provide maximum benefit without demanding too much time away from focusing on your own work. In addition to workshopping short scenes in class, participants will meet individually with Abby for 100-page manuscript reviews.
YOUR WRITING COMMUNITY
Whether you’ve already made headway on your novel or are just gathering ideas, your cohort will provide the structure, companionship, feedback, good humor and emotional support to help you see your project through.
You’ll also join StoryStudio’s larger community—in person and on social media—where you can connect with students from other classes, receive “first chance” invitations to special programming, and stay informed about literary events around the city.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Specific topics covered during the class sessions include:
- Plotting & Pacing
- Voice, Tense & POV
- Scene Building
- Character Building
- The Vast Middle
- Major Edits & Line Edits
- Representing Your Novel
All students will receive as part of the program:
- Monthly 3-hour class sessions
- Feedback on short scenes in class workshops
- 100-page manuscript review and individual meeting with Abby
- Private online forum for exchanging additional work and sharing articles and links of interest
- Accountability check-ins to report your progress and struggles
- Opportunities for alumni to stay connected and continue building their support network
PLEASE NOTE: This program is for novelists who are ready to make a strong commitment to their work. Students will be expected to participate in the full program.
This course is limited to 12 students and is submission based. To apply, please do the following:
1. Submit a 10-page writing sample in a Word document. The sample can be a short story or novel excerpt.
2. Fill out the NOVEL IN A YEAR APPLICATION INFORMATION form and attach it along with your sample. Applicants will have the opportunity to apply for a grant through the Dana Wood Chaney Writers Fund. See the form for guidelines.
3. Email both documents to email@example.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, January 23, 2017
PROGRAM FEE: $1295Top