This class will return this winter!
Meets monthly on Wednesdays beginning July 16, 2014
Need trusted readers and useful feedback? Have a story or novel ready to share with a welcoming audience? Struggling with a piece and needing some direction?
StoryStudio offers this ongoing workshop for intermediate and advanced writers who need clear and structured critiques to improve their work. Community and craft discussions come together in this once-a-month workshop.
Facilitated by Abby Geni, each session focuses on workshopping student manuscripts to highlight what’s working and where the opportunities are to delve deeper. Specific comments will be offered for writers at early or later stages of developing short stories or a novel.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to give useful feedback on drafts and how this skill will enhance your own writing.
- How and receive comments on your work and apply them (or not).
- How to sharpen your skills. The group will discuss the creative process and core storytelling elements such as voice, character, narrative arc, and more.
What Happens in Each Session:
- We’ll meet once a month, leaving writers lots of time to read and write.
- Each three-hour session will start with a discussion on the creative process and how you can apply new ideas to your writing.
- Three to four manuscripts will be workshopped each session.
- During the break, we’ll share a light meal together.
What You’ll Get:
- Each student will be expected to read manuscript drafts and prepare comprehensive comments. You’ll receive an informative class discussion on your story as well as thoughtful, written comments from your peers.
- For every draft you workshop, you will also receive detailed comments from the instructor.
Want to Join This Workshop?
This course is limited to 12 students. Participants should have previous workshop experience. To assure that students are in the class that will be most beneficial to them, we ask that prospective students contact us to send in up to 10 pages of a working draft. StoryStudio will then contact you to determine if the Advanced Fiction Workshop, or a different class, would be the best fit.
Please email or call us to see if this workshop is right for you: email@example.com or 773.477.7710.
Who should attend?
- Adults 18 and over
- Advanced writers
About the Instructor
Abby Geni is the author of the short story collection The Last Animal, published by Counterpoint Press. She is a graduate of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and a recipient of the Iowa Fellowship. Her stories have won first place in the Glimmer Train Fiction Open and the Chautauqua Contest. Additionally, her pieces have appeared in Glimmer Train, The Indiana Review, New Stories from the Midwest, Iron Horse Literary Review, The Fourth River, Camera Obscura, and Crab Orchard Review, among others. Over the years, Abby has taught writing in many forms to students of all ages and abilities, most recently at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. She is currently hard at work on a novel about loss, adulthood, and great white sharks.
Show Me More
advanced fiction workshop, StoryStudio, writing center, fiction writing, writing workshop, fiction workshop, how to write fiction
At A Glance
Dates: Meets monthly on Wednesdays: July 16, August 20, September 17, October 15, November 19, December 17, 2014
# of Sessions: 6
Time: 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Location: Chicago Studio
Course Fee: $385
To apply, please email us with a 10-page writing sample (Word document).